Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pathetically in Love

     I came to my Psychology class today fifteen minutes early hoping to do some last minute reviewing before the lecture and as usual found my self distracted by my surroundings. I sat at the back of the classroom in the section that had its lights turned off giving it all a relaxing feel. I was one of three in the room, each of us sitting in silence doing our own thing. Just out side the door way was a couple who were apparently pathetically in love. Let me explain. I didn't have the best view but I watched as the two of them tried so desperately to say goodbye to each other but each time they seemed to fail. unfortunately from my angle I could not see what they were saying or even what they were doing. Had I been one of the passer-bys walking down the hall I would have had the great profile view that would have allowed me to see both of them. She stood with her back to me and the poor lad wasn't my bigger then his tiny girlfriend so I couldn't even see him. Every now and then he head would tilt back and an audible smack would tell me that they had just kissed. Ten, Fifteen, Twenty minutes they stood there. I tried to imagine what possible impeding tragic merited such a dramatic parting. Maybe he had to travel home for the weekend before they got to see each other. Maybe she was going on a mission and was going to be set apart before he got out of class. Maybe some one died. Or possibly (heaven forbid) they would have to be separated for the next two hours as the two of them attended a different class. Watching the two of them was a bit like observing a yo-yo trying to prevail against gravity. Try as it might each bounce gets lower and lower as the child's toy slowly is overcome by its overwhelming opposition. The magnetism between this romantic couple was the same. Try as they might each time they tried to heed the knot in their stomach pulling them to class they longing in their heart bounced them back into each others arms for one last embrace, one last kiss. A totally appropriate reaction for any couple who through love are bound to each other for eternity. A totally appropriate reaction for two people who are preparing to walk through hell to find something better of far greater value. Possible a bit of a dramatic reaction for two kids who found that they have gotten cozy in each others presence. Maybe they are just addicted to the oxytocin that floods their endocrine system whenever they touch. This would be a dramatic reaction especially if they have spent every waking moment of the day with each other and will most likely, like reunited magnets, snap back together as soon as the bell rings. I like to think however, that they are star crossed lovers. Destined to love each other but forever separated by duty. I like to think that he was actually a world class scientist who is on the verge of curing cancer, and she is bound my family honor to stay her and study. Fortune allowed them this short moment to reunite and tell each what they already know. That they are madly, desperately, in love with each other. Possible one is a vampire and is only one step ahead of the posse sent to slay him. Or maybe he is an astronaut preparing for a launch that will send him to Mars, and adventure that could very well cost him his life. The beauty of it all is that I will never know but the story can be what ever I make it. So thank you random couple for giving my imagination some ammunition for 45 minutes. Here's to you pathetically in love couples who when you are in each others presence you forget that there are other people in this world. Thank you.

1 comment: